Raw Foods, Travel

Raw Vegan in the City

14 Comments 04 June 2013

Raw Vegan in the City

Notice anything different today? Go ahead, look around.

Thank you, Heather Peters, for redesigning my blog banner. And thank you, Kevin Banks of In Color Creative, for making it visible to you. Left to my own devices I would have wallowed in YouTube how-to videos for a month to figure out how to switch the banner!

But why the changes? Several life-changing reasons.

If you hadn’t already heard, you may have picked it up from my Liebster Award post. In just a few weeks, we will be leaving our sweet city of Nashville and moving to New York City. This is something that we’ve talked about doing for a while, and now it’s time to make it happen.

Will my location have an effect on this blog? Absolutely!

Last Fall I give you a glimpse into my temporary gluten-free kitchen.

This is an apartment kitchen that I had already downsized from a house kitchen. So the thought of cutting my workspace and storage space in half yet again is a bit terrifying. It will change the way I cook and create, but if I can eat gluten-free and healthily in cramped quarter, so can you.

(Now my Monday Lovin’ Gluten-Free Cookbook Giveaway is making a little more sense, isn’t it? Thanks for helping me as I downsize my incredible library for this move! If you haven’t entered this week, go check it out!)

Another big change is that this blog is going high-raw vegan. Why? Because those are the only recipes that I create anymore. I have jumped around in my journey and experimented with all sorts of foods in search of what is best for my body. And I always seem to come back to my love, raw foods. So it’s time for the blog to change along with me. I have removed all non-vegan recipes from the recipe list. I have not deleted non-vegan posts as they are all part of my journey. Of course this will remain a gluten-free blog as that is the only way that I can eat. But it will focus on raw and vegan food that is naturally gluten-free.

I also can’t wait to explore the raw, vegan corners of New York City and share my findings with you!

Raw Chocolate Banana Crepes at Pure Food and Wine

I am so thankful for every one of you who contributes to this blog. You all have made Gluten-Free Cat what it is today because of what I have learned from you. The gluten-free blogging community, the vegetarian and vegan community, and the raw foods community have all given me support and encouragement through this growing process. Thank you! And I hope that you’ll come along with me on the next step of this journey.

Here are a few things that I’m really looking forward to in NYC.

Union Square Farmers Market

The Brooklyn Bridge

Walking Everywhere

Raw Foods Restaurants

Grab and Go Juice!

Cashew Ice Cream

Central Park

And now back to packing!

• What is something that you’ve always wanted to do?
  • Have you ever dreamed about living somewhere else?

1. NYC is on my “must visit” list…so by the time I’m ready to go, you’ll be there and we can catch up!! Good luck with your move! :)

2. Heather says:

So excited for your new adventure in the city and with food!!! :) Love you!

Thanks again for the incredible design work! You never cease to amaze me with your talent. I look forward to the Peters Grand Tour! Love you!!

3. Betsy says:

What an exciting new adventure!!! I love NYC and would love to live in Manhattan. The hubs has applied for jobs there, so you never know! For now, I will simply have to live vicariously through you!

Betsy, you are SO right! “You never know!” I never dreamed that we’d actually be moving there. But if life were exactly what we expected, what would be the fun in that? ;)

4. Maggie says:

Heather! This is fabulous news. I love hearing that you guys are doing something you’ve always wanted to do! I’ve always wanted to live in NYC too – it’s just a little harder since I’m Canadian :) But it’s still a dream. And I’m going to come and visit you. Best wishes on this next amazing step. xo

Thanks so much, Maggie! We have talked before about our love of NYC and the amazing gf restaurants there! We are definitely going to hang out at one the next time you’re there!

5. Shannon says:

NYC is on my list of places to go. My theater professor husband went there many times before I met him. Now we can plan a trip with plays and great food you’ve shared about :) I hope the move goes well but we’ll miss you here in Music City.

Thank you, Shannon! You two would LOVE New York! We will definitely miss Music City and the community we have here. We’re just glad we’re moving to a place where people like to visit! Hint, hint!

6. Love this post! I like hearing what’s going on with you so thank you for sharing with us.
    How exciting for you! And stressful I’m sure… but you’ll be settled in no time, you’ll figure out the kitchen thing. I know how you feel – I had to move from a nice, big and roomy kitchen to an apartment size. I’m making it work.
    You’re going completely raw huh? It’s funny – with the whole Raw Foods Thursday thing – I notice my viewership has increased quite a bit since I started participating in it, so although I’m not going completely raw, I’m definitely heading that way to incorporate more and more of it into my lifestyle.

And yup – it was a pretty big dream of mine to move to California. And here I am living the dream =)

7. Congrats on all these big decisions Heather! Good luck with your move and I can’t wait to hear about your new lifestyle :)

8. amber says:

Hi Heather,

I am so excited for you! And like I said…next time I visit my sister I am looking you up. :-)

I am thrilled about your blog transition. It’s obvious how passionate your are about raw, vegan cuisine. I look forward to your upcoming recipes.

So, as for me…I am living in my dream town. A small(ish) liberal/progressive, academic bike friendly community (you can literally bike everywhere) with a huge Farmer’s Marker twice a week. Excellent school system, very few commercial stores and fast food restaurants (we have a no-build code for big corporations…we have a Target and that’s it). Lots of mom and pop stores. A Natural Foods Coop, and several gluten free/dairy free restaurants. The ONLY thing is…it gets super HOT here in the summers. But I can live with that.

But, if we did not have children…I would love to move to NYC for a while just to experience the life and culture. I’ve visited twice and totally fell in love.

Anyway, have a wonderful move! I look forward to your blog updates.

Hugs,
    –Amber

9. Quincy says:

It is my dream to live in Manhattan one day. That is so cool that you have the opportunity- lucky you! Plus the availability of beautiful raw vegan food is incredible (: