GF Recipes, Healthy Living, Raw Foods, Vegan

Raw Spinach Pesto Pasta

14 Comments 18 June 2013

Raw Spinach Pesto Pasta

Since summer weather hit, most of my evening meals consist of spiralized veggies topped with some kind of yummy sauce. Thankfully, I’m not left to my creativity alone. I’ve had lots of help from our Raw Foods Thursdays participants.

Here are a few posts that you’ll want to check out:

Do you have a spiralizer yet? If not, let me highly recommend that you get one. I guarantee that it won’t become just one more kitchen gadget that you need to find room to store once the newness wears off. I use mine almost on a daily basis. Not only does it give you creative ways to use veggies but it increases your vegetable consumption, because squiggly veggies are just so much more fun to eat than veggie sticks!

I’ve been wanting to share this raw pasta dish for a while. It’s super easy to make and even more fun to eat! I hope you enjoy it!

Raw Spinach Pesto Pasta

Pesto Ingredients:

• 1 c. basil
  • 1 c. spinach
  • 1/2 c. soft nuts – cashews, pinenuts, or walnuts work well
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 c. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt

Vegetable Ingredients:

• 2 large zucchini, spiralized
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 1 yellow pepper, diced
  • 3 cups of spinach

1. Peel and spiralize zucchini and place noodles in a large bowl.

2. Place all pesto ingredients in a food processor and process.

3. Pour pesto over the zucchini noodles and mix with your hands until all noodles are coated.

4. Fold in most tomatoes and peppers, saving a few to sprinkle on top.

5. Place a bed spinach on each plate and top with Raw Spinach Pesto Pasta.

Serves 4

• Do you have a spiralizer? If so, how do you use it?
  • What is your favorite veggie to spiralize?

1. Emma says:

I love my spiralizer- I got the Benriner for xmas and it’s had a prominent position in my kitchen ever since :)
    Zucchini is my go-to veggie but I often combine it with carrots. I love an Asian type raw noodle dish with a peanutty sauce, mango and lots of fresh herbs.

Emma, I always forget about spiralizing carrots. Not only would they boost the nutritional value but they add pretty color!

Love Asian dishes too!

2. YUM. This sounds super tasty.
    I totally have a spiralizer – I love it!

Thanks, Kimmy. I don’t know that I could live without mine. My kitchen is almost packed up, but the spiralizer still sits on the counter. Just can’t bear to put it in a box yet!

3. I made something so similar the other day and was going to post the recipe soon ;) I don’t have a spiralizer though. I have a bit of a space issue, but I’m hoping when I’m done classes I’ll find some time to reorganize my kitchen and find some space :)

4. So beautiful. I don’t have a spiralizer yet but I use my mandoline set on julienne. It works really well but I don’t get that nice twirl of the vegetables that the spiralizer gives. This is so perfect for a picnic. This kind of pasta is perfect for summer.

France, a picnic sounds so good! I got a mandoline slicer for my birthday but I’m afraid of it! So many blades for my clumsy fingers…ha! I need to make time to practice and feel comfortable with it. Glad you can get some noodles with one!

5. Johnna says:

This looks delicious! I’ve got spinach and basil in the garden and now have a plan to use them. Thanks for the mention of my round-up. :)

6. Alisa says:

That pesto looks amazing Heather, and so up my alley.

7. What a gorgeous, healthy dish! I just got a spiralizer and can you believe it … Mr. GFE is excited about using it?! :-)

xo,

8. amber says:

What a beautiful dish, Heather. I LOOOOVE pesto. It’s a favorite. I love it on pasta or just as a dip. I also add avocado for a super creamy texture.

Thanks for a great recipe.

1. Raw Foods Thursdays: 6/20/13 | Gluten-Free Cat - 19. Jun, 2013