GF Recipes, Raw Foods, Vegan

Hydrating Banana Bread Smoothie

13 Comments 22 July 2013

Hydrating Banana Bread Smoothie

I haven’t baked in a very long time. And apparently I’ve been craving banana bread, because I have another banana bread recipe to share with you. I shared my Banana Bread Bites a few months back at The Balanced Platter. If you haven’t checked out these little raw cookies, please do!

Last month I was inspired by this Sports Drink by Sandra at Candida Diet Plan. I just love her smoothies, and planning hydration is a key factor in fitness, so I was all over this drink.

I also loved that she used cucumber to cleanse and hydrate. So my next smoothie just had to include cucumber. After adding a few more hydrating ingredients, it strangely tasted like a slice of banana bread. Happy surprise!

Banana Bread Smoothie

• 1 c. almond milk
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 c. cubed cantaloupe
  • 1/2 cucumber, peeled
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Sun Warrior Vanilla Protein.)

1. Place all ingredients in a Vitamix or blender.

2. Blend until creamy and serve.

Yields 4 cups (two smaller serving or one lean, mean power smoothie for one)

Readers, dish:

• What new ingredient have you tried in a smoothie?
  • What happy surprises have you discovered recently?
  • Do you have a hydration tip to share?

1. Amber says:

LOVE this smoothie, Heather! It looks so refreshing. I have to say, I love using zucchini in smoothies. They create a very creamy texture. Also cashews. I like thick, rich smoothies rather than icy. So I’m always looking for ways to get that creamy factor in there. :-)

Hope all is well with you my friend. My sister says NYC is HOT and sticky right now. How are you adjusting? Have you been to Babycakes yet?

Amber, I haven’t gotten to NYC yet. I’m upstate awaiting our move-in date…just a few more weeks away. Oh your sister is SO right. My husband just returned from NYC and said it was brutal! I hope it cools down before we move! :) And I’ll definitely have to visit Babycakes as a unpacking break, don’t you think?

2. Lovely, lovely, lovely!
    The mention, the delicious flavor combo and YOU that is :-)

3. Susan says:

I’m always looking for new smoothie recipes, and this one sounds really intriguing. The only thing is, I’m not quite sure how to do it: as written, the recipe volume is way greater than either my husband or I would want to consume at one time, but making it into two servings, even when adding an extra scoop of protein powder, ends up messing up the nutritional profile we would prefer (as written, the recipe’s nutrition profile is perfect – if you can drink the whole thing at one time). I will have to play with it to see what I can figure out.

Hi Susan! Thanks so much for commenting! I have not had any problem consuming this smoothie by myself. There’s so much water naturally in the ingredients that it may seem like a lot to drink at once, but if you halve the recipe you’ll probably be hungry in an hour. Let me know if you do play with it and how it works for you!

4. I LOOOOVE cucmber in smoothies. It just makes it taste so fresh!

There is no way I’d be sharing this smoothie- all mine ;)

5. Johnna says:

We’ve got lots of cucumbers coming in from the garden right now. Can’t wait to try this!

6. Mmmm this sounds super refreshing! What a great way to start a warm, summer day?

7. Lynne L says:

Sounds delicious! I usually also grate some nutmeg into smoothies. I like the cinnamon/nutmeg combo of flavors. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

8. Linda says:

Heather, this sounds delicious! My garden is spitting out cucumbers like crazy right now and I’ve been using them in smoothies a lot. This sounds like one I have to try.

9. I LOVE sneaking cucumbers into things!! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Hope your week is great!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com