GF Recipes, Vegan

Loaded Guaco Garbanzo Salad

17 Comments 15 July 2013

Loaded Guaco Garbanzo Salad

The Husband and I have this nerdy tradition. When either of us mentions, orders, or purchases chickpeas, the other one has to say that they’d prefer garbanzo beans. And pity the poor waitress who has to listen to us request that the garbanzo beans in a salad be replaced with chickpeas. I believe this ridiculousness stems from a post-college realization that chickpeas and garbanzo beans were actually the same thing. Apparently that realization stunted our development, because the immaturity has never gone away.

So you can call this a Loaded Guaco Garbanzo Salad or a Loaded Guaco Chickpea Salad, but I like the alliteration better.

I was blown away by the depth of flavors in the creamy green garbanzo mixture. The Husband loved it too. But I could only laugh when he asked, “Isn’t it just guacamole mixed with chickpeas?”

No, I used garbanzo beans.

Whatever you want to call this, we love it. And I hope you do too.

Loaded Guaco Garbanzo Salad

• 1 clove of garlic
  • 4 T. red onion, divided
  • 1 handful of cilantro, divided
  • juice of ½ lemon
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 2 avocados
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • ¼ c. finely minced celery (about 2 stalks)
  • Mixed baby greens
  • 1 cucumber, chopped
  • 1 ½ c. grated carrots (3-4 carrots)
  • 2 chopped tomatoes
  • 1-2 T. balsamic vinegar

1. Place garlic, 2 T. of red onion, most of the handful of cilantro, lemon juice, and salt in the food processor and process until pieces stick to the sides of the bowl.
2. Add 2 avocados and process until well combined but slightly chunky.
3. Rinse and drain garbanzo beans and place in a medium bowl. Add contents of the food processor and celery. Then mix by hand.
4. Prepare remaining salad items layering the mixed greens, chopped cucumber, grated carrots, chopped tomatoes, and remaining red onion.
5. Drizzle 1-2 T. of balsamic vinegar over the salad.
6. Then scoop the Guaco Garbanzo Beans on top of the salad.
7. Chop remaining cilantro and sprinkle over entire dish.
Serves 4

Hey, buddy. You are not a part of this photo shoot!

• Do you call them garbanzo beans or chickpeas?
  • What goofy food traditions do you and your friends or family have?
  • What’s your favorite way to enjoy garbanzo/chickpeas?

1. Whatever you call it, it looks delicious!
    Although, for the record, I say chickpea. :)

2. Lisa H says:

This looks great, can’t wait to make it! Speaking of immaturity, a friend once stated she couldn’t eat garbonzos because they look like “chipmunk brains”, so that’s what we’ve called them ever since….more the pity for the person manning the salad bar!;-}

3. Hehe… I say Chickpeas… and I LIKE them a lot! Neat combo with the avocados – I LIKE those, too ;-)

P.S. Have you found a nice apartment yet?

4. Emma says:

Nobody calls them Garbanzo beans here in the UK but I lived in Spain for 6 months and the word for chickpeas is “garbanzos” so it sounds pretty normal to me.
    Your salad looks delicious- how can you go wrong with guacamole and chickpea together?!

5. Marsha says:

Yum, this looks good. Just love those garbanzo beans.

6. Mmmm yummy. Sounds so good! I love anything covered in avocado or guac ;p

7. Hysterical!!! Don’t you love super silly, weird traditions/routines like that? We all have them, right? ;-) One of our things is pronouncing certain words incorrectly. You know others are thinking that we just fell off the turnip truck when they hear us. We do it naturally, so folks must think we’re nut cases. I prefer chickpeas myself, but I love this salad even if you prefer garbanzo beans! Another “must make” for me and for the gfe retreat. :-)

Thanks, Heather! xo,

8. Yum this looks delish! contains some of my favorite foods!

9. This sounds great and the cat cracks me up! My cats think they are part of the photo shoot each time too :) LOL Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Hope your week is great!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

10. Love this idea! Like merging guac and hummus but with tons of texture :) I am totally going to try this!

And I say chickpea :)

11. Audelle says:

I’ve got a third option for you. My family is from Guyana, South America. Interesting blend of Caribbean and Indian influences in the cooking so I grew up calling this bean channa!

12. Linda says:

That’s funny! I like the alliteration, too and think this salad looks delicious, even though I’m not a big fan of beans.

13. That is a beautiful salad, but I think I’ll remember it even better for imagining a waitress taking an order for one from you! My husband would love the confusion, too, since I must admit we have moments of immaturity all too often :-)

14. Katie says:

Guac and garbanzos… can’t go wrong!! Looks amazing.

15. Haha, I love that back-and-forth. :)

Sounds absolutely delicious! Love the complexity of flavors with the chickpeas. I mean garbanzo beans.

1. Healthy Vegan Friday Recipe Winners - 30. Jul, 2013

[...] 2. Most Inspiring Avocado Recipe - Loaded Guaco Garbanzo Salad from Gluten-Free Cat: [...]