GF Product Reviews, Vegan

Gluten-Free Sandwich Petals and Green Vegan Mayo

11 Comments 05 August 2013

Gluten-Free Sandwich Petals and Green Vegan Mayo

When I travel it’s always fun to check out new gluten-free products in local grocery stores. It’s getting harder to find gluten-free products that meet my ever increasing requirements now that I also eat vegan. Most bread products are made with egg. I was happy to come across these cute little Sandwich Petals a few weeks ago and thought they’d make great veggie wraps.

They are shaped like flower petals. (How adorable is that???) And they come in three different flavors: Agave Grain (the original), Spinach Garlic Pesto, and Chimayo Red Chile (pictured here).

Since I was staying with family I didn’t have a fridge filled with my staples, so I played with a few ingredients to come up with a Vegan Mayo for my wrap. I loved what popped out of the Vitamix! And what a bonus that it was green!

Green Vegan Mayo

• 1 avocado
  • 1 T. miso
  • 1 small handful basil (or herb of your choice)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • juice of 1/2 lemon

Place all ingredients in a Vitamix or high-powered blender. Blend until creamy, stopping several times to scrape down the sides.

Yields 1 cup of mayo

Spread it on your favorite gluten-free or raw bread or wrap.

But how were the Sandwich Petals? The Chimayo Red Chili was really tasty. And I love the shape. There’s no extra bread to flip under, get in the way, or to create an empty bite like with an over-sized tortilla.

But as soon as I folded it over my fixings I realized that there was going to be a problem. The side started to crack.

And It just took one bite for the entire thing to break down the fold.

But to be fair, I do stuff my sandwiches with enough filling to call it a salad sandwich. If you’re a light sandwich stuffer, it might work better for you.

In fact, I did try less wrap stuffing, not just for product testing, but because I love this Green Vegan Mayo, and it did just fine.

So if you see a package of Sandwich Petals pick it up and let me know how it works for you.

• Are you a sandwich spreader or a sandwich stuffer?
  • Have you tried Sandwich Petals? What do you think of them?
  • What vegan, gluten-free sandwich products would you recommend?

1. Emma says:

Love the idea of the avocado-miso “mayo”. I love wraps but rarely eat them as I have to make my own since the few brands available here in the UK are packed with synthetic preservatives :(
    The petals look fab though.

2. Sandwich petals, how cool is that! I’d love to try the Spinach garlic pesto with your avocado mayo for an extra green kick – yum!

3. Emily Rardin says:

Yay! Finally a wrap that is dairy and soy free AND egg free! Thanks for the heads up!

4. Colleen S says:

I have tried these petal wraps and I do like them a lot. I warm mine up and have never had a problem with them breaking then but if I use them out of the package they do tend split on the fold. I have also found that I need to be careful how I handle the package as I have easily split all of them by holding the package at one end when transporting them. Definitely worth a try!

Colleen, thanks so much for the tip about warming them. I’ve used the wet paper towel in the microwave trick on other gf tortillas in the past. I’ll have to try it with the Sandwich Petals. Thanks for stopping by!

5. Cracking aside, those wraps look deeelicious! I wish they carried the sandwich petals at my Whole Foods. I’ll have to put in a request!

6. Oooh I’m glad you posted about these – they look great! Apparently they have some in a nearby store, so I will check them out. I kind of gave up on “wraps” after going gluten-free (gluten-free & vegan is a hard combo, especially since I try and stay soy free and refined sugar free too). I bet they would make a good pizza or sinquesadilla.
    I use Engine2Diet brown rice wraps – they hold up decently. I also like Food for Life, but they *do not* wrap. They are definitely made for pizzas and such.
    Thanks for sharing =)

7. amber says:

Great review, Heather. I always love finding out about new products. Gluten free tortillas can be tricky, but these look like they will work with less filling, but I’m like you, I pack my wraps full too!

Have a great rest of your week.

–Amber

8. MonsterAteMy says:

We tried the Sandwich Petals twice, then gave up. The flavors were great, but they would constantly split into pieces, sometimes even before we got them out of the bag. For how expensive they were, it just wasn’t worth it.

9. Sounds so tasty! :) Thanks for sharing it.

10. Erin says:

Thanks for linking-up to 5-Ingredient Mondays, Heather. This Green Mayo looks fantastic- I’m featuring it this week :)