GF Recipes, Raw Foods, Vegan

Raw Buckwheat Strawberry Cookies

17 Comments 12 August 2013

Raw Buckwheat Strawberry Cookies

I’ve been waiting to share these cookies with you. I made them in Nashville, but I neglected to write down the recipe. So I’ve had to wait to unpack enough of the kitchen here in New York to make them again and actually write down the specifics. Many of you have been asking about my little NYC kitchen and how workable it is. I keep hoping to take pictures to share, but that means the kitchen has to be organized and clean first! Soon…

These raw cookies were actually fairly easy to make in my kitchen as they do not require much counter space. I did make almond milk first, which meant I needed to have room to soak the almonds. I also had to soak the buckwheat groats, but two bowls fit perfectly on the stovetop.

I opted to let the buckwheat sprout to increase the nutritional benefit, but it isn’t necessary to make these cookies.

Everything else was simply tossed into the food processor, mixed, and scooped onto dehydrator trays.

I like to use a muffin scoop or ice cream scoop so the cookies are uniform.

My dehydrator does not fit in the kitchen, but it’s close by on a kitchen cart. More on that soon.

These cookies are so pretty, especially when accented with strawberries. But they are only sweetened with natural dates. If you prefer a sweeter cookie, add a few tablespoons of maple syrup, raw coconut sugar, or honey if you aren’t vegan.

Raw Buckwheat Strawberry Cookies

• 1 c. buckwheat groats, soaked 24 hours, rinsed, and drained*
  • 1 c. diced strawberries and 2-3 sliced strawberries for decoration
  • 1 c. dates, soaked 30-60 minutes (reserve date water)
  • 2 T. chia seeds
  • 1 T. raw lucama powder
  • 1 c. almond pulp
  • 1/4 c. raw coconut oil, melted**
  • 2 T. raw cacao powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. date water

1. Place 1 c. buckwheat groats in 4 cups of water to soak overnight.

*If you have time and desire even greater nutritional benefit, rinse, spread out in a mesh strainer, and allow the groats to sprout for another 24 hours. Rinse several times.

2. Place all but 1/2 cup of drained and rinsed buckwheat in a food processor with remaining ingredients. Process until smooth stopping several times to scrape down the sides. Then mix in the remaining buckwheat.

3. Scoop onto dehydrator sheets with an ice cream scoop and flatten with the back of the scoop to make cookie shapes. Press one strawberry slice in the middle of each cookie. If you have extra strawberry slices, place them on another meshed tray to make dried fruit treats.

4. Dehydrate at 115 for 2 hours or until cookies are firm enough to move them from dehydrator sheets to mesh trays. Continue to dehydrate for 6-8 hours or until desired consistency is reached.

** To melt coconut oil, place it in a measuring cup and put the measuring cup in a sink or bowl of hot tap water.

Yields 18 cookies

• Do your appliances fit in your kitchen?
  • What’s the biggest challenge in your kitchen?
  • Are you a sprouter?

1. What a beautiful presentation! Proudly pinned!

In answer to your questions – my kitchen is tiny (half my stuff is still boxed up and whenever I need a muffin tin or juicer I have to climb into the back of our kitchen cupboard!)

The biggest challenge is not being seen by the tourist passers by at the weekend when I’m standing in my pj sleepily in front of the stove :) which is in prime position to be seen by anyone walking into our garden (which happens a lot as the garden is a public attraction).

I will most definitely become a sprouter if you keep making cookies like this ;-)

Sandra, that’s awesome! I love your pj/stove scenario. I feel like our whole apartment is a perfect view from any of the umpteen families in the building across the courtyard! We really need curtains.

You will fall in love with sprouting!!!

2. I really need to get a dehydrator! These sound and look fantastic!!!

3. these look so yummy! Featuring them next week on AFW Heather!

4. These look beautiful! They would be the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day – the strawberries look like little hearts. Looks like my next wish list item will be a dehydrator – any one that you recommend?

Devin, what a great idea to make them for Valentine’s Day! And I absolutely adore my Excalibur. I have the 5 tray, which has always been plenty large. There’s a 9 tray, but I’ve never needed more than 5 trays. You definitely want the square trays, not the round. Much easier to work with.

5. Amber says:

Gasp…I can’t wait to make these. I love using raw buckwheat. It soaks so nicely. I’m collecting new recipes for the school year. I’m all over snack time sista!

xo,
    –Amber

You might need to add a few chocolate chips for kid snacks. These aren’t too sweet. Perfect for me, and I love that there’s no sugar. But maybe your kids are used to that by now! :)

6. These look AMAZING! I can’t wait to try them out. I have never tried sprouting buckwheat… I wonder why. Now is the time to do it =) To make these most awesome cookies!
    They are just so pretty & cute & tasty looking all at the same time.
    I’m glad you are managing in your kitchen ok.

Kimmy, buckwheat is so easy to sprout. You just have to rinse them a few times when they feel slimy. Once they’ve sprouted there’s so much you can do with them.

7. I’m totally a sprouter (woo Easy Sprout!), and this recipe makes me want to buy a dehydrator! These would be adorbs for Valentine’s Day, too–the strawberries look like little hearts.

Two questions:
    1) Do you think I can sub almond butter for the coconut oil to keep it oil free?
    2) Do you buy buckwheat groats from a sprouting company, or do you just sprout the ones you buy at the store?

Hope you’re enjoying the Big Apple! :-D

Lee, I think almond butter would be wonderful! I’m going to try that on my next batch. And I just sprout the raw buckwheat that I get from the store. I used to order Bob’s Red Mill buckwheat from Amazon, but I just found some at the local grocery. Of course, Big Apple! Yay!!!

8. These look great – some of the words in your recipe aren’t showing up well…..not sure why?

Adrienne, I’m not sure why either. I’m sorry. I just checked it from here and all is well. Maybe it’s a browser issue? What browser are you using?

1. Raw Foods Thursdays: 8/15/13 | Gluten-Free Cat - 14. Aug, 2013

[...] I started my day with a Raw Buckwheat Strawberry Cookie for breakfast, and that’s my contribution to Raw Foods [...]