I’m off to a good start! I decided to start this New Year’s Juicing Challenge on a Friday thinking that I could prepare juice for one day of work and then have the weekend ahead to get settled into the cleanse. But thankfully schools were closed on Friday due to a snowstorm. Yay for me! So I had a day of very easy juicing. I had the luxury of 5 different juices to get me through the day.
My first juice was a Morning Zinger. I absolutely love freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Just add 2 inches of juiced ginger to make it a zinger and it’s “hello morning”!
- 2 grapefruits, peeled
- 2 inches of fresh ginger, peeled
1. Juice grapefruit and ginger.
Makes 2 cups of juice.
Grapefruit juice is rich in vitamin C, calcium, phosphorous, and potassium. I love that grapefruit strengthens capillary walls and heals bruising too. (I bruise if you look at me too hard.)
Here are a few things I’ve learned in the first two days:
1. Prep fruits and veggies ahead. Washing, peeling, and chopping into smaller pieces and storing them in ziplocks makes for quick juicing when hunger strikes.
2. Having Organic Avenue 5 blocks away is very helpful! We bundled up in 3 layers for an evening walk in 10 degree weather for a “dinner” juice last night.
3. Homemade almond milk right before bed coats the stomach and keeps the bad dreams away. Seriously, when you’ve had nothing but veggie/fruit juice all day, almond milk tastes decadent. Also, I am not a good sleeper, but last night I slept through the night and woke up feeling rested for the first time in ages. I love juicy sleep.
4. Green tea helps ease the coffee/caffeine withdrawl. Knowing that this challenge was coming, I started weaning from my multiple-cup-a-day habit at the beginning of the week and suffered pretty intense headaches. I’m down to 3 cups of green tea without a headache.
I loved reading your comments on Friday and am excited that some of you are juicing along with me! How are you doing?
- Do you like grapefruit juice?
- What is the hardest thing about the first few days of juicing?