Healthy Living, Raw Foods, Vegan

New Year’s Juicing Challenge

21 Comments 03 January 2014

New Year’s Juicing Challenge

Today I’m starting a New Year’s Juicing Challenge! I’m joining a few friends who have committed to juicing for 30 days. I’m inspired by their discipline and commitment, I love juicing, and the new year is a great motivator for starting out with healthy practices. Some of my most successful and juicing experiences have been with friends, so I’m joining in on their juicing fun!

BUT, I’ve set a few guidelines to make sure this remains a healthy challenge.

1. I will not starve myself. There is nothing healthy about ignoring hunger signals. I have done many juice fasts and have learned a lot about hunger through them. Sometimes we misinterpret our bodies’ signals and eat when we’re thirsty or just plain tired instead of hungry. That’s one of my favorite things about a juice cleanse. I become more in tune with my body’s signals. When we’re truly hungry our bodies need fuel. I will not let myself be hungry. So I need to be prepared to make a lot of juice.

2. I will not step on the scale. I honestly don’t care what numbers pop up on that contraption. It has taken a long time for me to learn that true health can not be measured by a number. We have numbers in our minds that equal thinness or fitness, but those numbers tend to be unrealistic or represent periods in our life that had difference circumstances. It would be so easy to lose focus by a number and what I think that means, so I will not be stepping on the scale.

3. I will listen to my body. The Husband is a bit concerned about a 30 day commitment, and so am I. The longest that I’ve ever juiced is 13 days. Since I felt incredible at the end of the 13 days, I think I can go longer and still feel good. But 30 days is a long time to exist on a liquid diet. So I’m giving myself permission to make changes along the way. If I start losing energy and strength I can modify the number of days or continue juicing but supplement with pure vegan foods.

4. I will incorporate nut milks and raw protein powder. I have found that adding raw protein powder to juices gives staying power and reduces loss of muscle while fasting. Homemade nut milks like almond milk or hempseed milk also provide protein and fat that pure vegetable and fruit juice can not.

Juice_Badge

And I’m going to try to share my experience, resources, and juice recipes here at Gluten-Free Cat, so I hope you’ll follow along!

I’d also like to challenge you to dust that juicer off and use it this month. You don’t have to commit to 30 days to reap the benefits of fresh juice. Start small!

• Have you ever done a juice cleanse? What was your experience?
  • What kind of juicer do you have?
  • Would you like to join in some kind of a New Year’s Juice Challenge with me?

1. Heather says:

I love juicing. The longest I’ve done of only juice is 5 days (I missed chewing!) but I use a lot of juices and smoothies for breakfasts. I’m interested to see how it goes for you.

2. Emma says:

Wow 30 days is a long time to go without chewing! I would definitely miss eating and cooking but I imagine it’s great for clearing up emotional food issues as well as for giving the body a break.
    All the best with it!

You are so right, Emma! I do start to miss chewing after several days! And it gets super annoying when you live with someone who’s munching on chips or nuts. :)

3. Lynda Sully says:

I’m in! I started one yesterday for 14 days. I will see how I’m feeling at that time and maybe will continue on with you.

That’s great Lynda! I hope you’re feeling good today! I started weaning off coffee a few days ago in preparation, so I’ve been staving off a headache with green tea today. :)

• Lynda Sully says:

I’m good that wY…I only drink decaf. I’m usually a vegan eater, but I did allow myself some dairy over the holidays…..hence the detox! Looking forward to hearing about your progress
        L

4. Tara Rich says:

Good luck girl! I’m right there with you although I am still eating some food -just amping up my juicing to a few times a day instead of once with my new awesome juicer:) Best way to start the new year!

5. Kathy says:

My dear hubby approached me a about doing a 30 day juicing fast and my reply was “it’ll be too hard”. The most I have fasted was 10 days a long time ago and he does not do well on juice alone for even three days! If I think it will be too hard, then it will. What we are basically doing is replacing one meal per day with healthy juices and eating whole foods minus wheat and sugar. I’ll be looking to possibly up the juicing at some point and we’ll see. I’ll be interested in your follow up posts.

6. I want to do a juice feast! But I never make it past the first half of day one. *Sigh* Looking forward to your results :)

Veronica, I totally understand! I flood myself with juice on day 1 to make sure I’m not hungry. Maybe you should try a one day again…even just to have a successful experience. Thanks for commenting!

7. Eeek.. I have never considered juice fasting at all. Drinking juices as part of a regular day, for sure, but never only juices. I trust you will do what is right for yourself.

Janet, I’ve loved every juice cleanse I’ve done for different reasons. It was important to me to set some parameters since 30 days seems eternal right now! It needs to be healthy or there’s no reason to do it.

8. Natalia says:

This is certainly a good start of the new year!I can’t live without my juicer but I am not sure I could resist without a dessert pleasure ;
    I am thinking about it too!

9. Wow – this sounds impressive! Go you =)
    It sounds like you are taking a very healthy approach to it. I have to admit, I always wonder about people juicing for long periods of time – but your #1 goal sounds good!
    I’m looking forward to seeing your thoughts over the next 30 days.

1. My Power Juice: Day 5 | Gluten-Free Cat - 07. Jan, 2014

[…] Day 5 of my New Year’s Juicing Challenge, and I thought you might be wondering how it’s going. In general, it’s going remarkably […]

2. Sweet Popeye Nectar: Day 6 | Gluten-Free Cat - 08. Jan, 2014

[…] Day 6 of my New Year’s Juicing Challenge, and I’m off to work, armed with several bottles of juice, of […]

3. Raw Foods Thursdays: 1/9/14 | Gluten-Free Cat - 08. Jan, 2014

[…] recipes to try. I’ve had an adventurous week creating various juices since embarking on my New Year’s Juicing Challenge. So I will be bringing a lot of liquid to the event this […]

4. Raw Foods Thursdays: 1/16/14 | Gluten-Free Cat - 15. Jan, 2014

[…] on Day 14 of my New Year’s Juicing Challenge, so right now all of my fun is with juices. I’m sharing […]