Good morning, sunshines! It’s Day 20 of my New Year’s Juicing Challenge, and I’ve got a fabulous juice to share with you. It’s actually a twist on the Morning Zinger as it has a grapefruit and ginger base. I got this idea from a Facebook post by the Juice Brothers in Nashville. Check them out!
This juice has a magical ingredient that has me all excited. Turmeric! This wonder root is best known as a key ingredient in curry. It’s also great for getting that bright yellow color in your raw cheeses. I’ve been hearing about the health benefits of turmeric in the media lately, so when The Juice Brothers suggested juicing it I was all about it.
Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and its benefits seem to be endless:
- Treatment for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Relief for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Prevention of Cancer cell growth
- Help for Cystic Fibrosis
- Prevention of Colon Cancer
- Halts Prostate Cancer
- Protects against Alzheimer’s Disease
- Lowers Cholesterol
- Improves Liver Function
Read more here.
You may not have access to the turmeric root. I was thrilled to find these nubby little fingerlings at my local Whole Foods. If you can’t find any, this recipe can also be made with ground turmeric.
Either juice the turmeric root with the other ingredients or add the powder afterwards.
Have a great morning, sunshines!
Turmeric Sunshine Juice
- 2 grapefruits, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 inches of ginger root
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder or 6 inches tumeric root
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1. Run fruits and roots through the juicer.
2. Add spices and whisk to mix.
Yields 2 1/4 cups of juice
- Do you cook with turmeric?
- Have you ever juiced turmeric root?