GF Recipes, Raw Foods, Vegan

Orange Carrot Bread (Vegan, Raw, GF)

17 Comments 17 February 2014

Orange Carrot Bread (Vegan, Raw, GF)

I love raw bread. When you eat mostly raw foods, it’s nice to be able to build veggie sandwiches, or layer toppings open-faced on a slice of raw bread. I don’t often post raw bread recipes, because I seem to make each bread batch differently almost every time. Raw bread can be made easily by mixing fruit and veggie pulp, left over from juicing, together with flaxseeds, flaxmeal, and other add-ins like seeds, dates, or dried fruits. Once you have your formula down, you can make an assortment of bread flavors and textures.

Here are three breads that I’ve shared previously:

Bread

I am giddy about my new Orange Carrot Bread! It’s a sweet bread that tastes delicious spread with hummus, raw nut cheese, nut butters, or all by itself. The best way to make this bread is to save carrot and orange pulp leftover from juicing. You can plan on making either of these juices, and save the pulp in a ziplock in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the bread.

Orange_Carrot_Gluten-Free_Cat

Or just create your own juice combination and save the orange and carrot pulp as it shoots out of your juicer. If you don’t have a juicer, process 2 carrots and 1 orange in a food processor to make your own pulp. It will be a wetter batter, and you will not need to add much water, if any.

Carrot_Orange_Bread2_Gluten-Free_Cat

Make this bread a little thicker than most raw breads.

Thick_Carrot_Orange_Bread_Gluten-Free_Cat

Don’t spread the dough all the way to the edges of the non-stick sheets.

Carrot_Orange_Bread_Gluten-Free_Cat

Don’t over dehydrate or you’ll have thick crackers instead of bread. Dehydrate on the non-stick sheets for about 4 hours. Then flip the bread onto the mesh trays, score them into slices, and continue dehydrating for 2-3 more hours.

pliable_Carrot_Orange_Bread_Gluten-Free_Cat

You want the outside to be dry, but the inside should be moist enough so the bread is soft.

Orange Carrot Bread (Vegan, Raw, GF)

• 2 c. pulp from juicing oranges and carrots (about 2 carrots and 2 oranges)
  • 1 c. flaxmeal
  • 1/2 c. flaxseeds
  • 10 dates chopped (about 1/3 c.)
  • 1/2 c. sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 to 1 1/2 c. water

1. Place all ingredients, except water, in a large bowl.

2. Stir and slowly start adding up to 1 cup of water as you continue to stir.

3. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes to allow the flax to gel.

4. If the dough is thick enough to hold together yet easy to spread, you are ready to spread the dough on two non-stick dehydrator sheets. If the dough is too crumbly, add up to 1/2 cup of additional water, stir, and let it sit for a few more minutes.

5. Divide the dough between two non-stick sheets. Do not spread it all the way to the edges. You want the bread to be thicker.

6. Dehydrate for 4 hours at 118.

7. Flip the bread directly onto the mesh trays, remove the dehydrator sheets, and score each tray of bread into 6 slices.

8. Continue dehydrating for 2-3 more hours until the bread is dry on the outside, yet moist on the inside. The bread should be pliable.

Yields 12 slices

***Readers have asked in the past if raw bread can be made without a dehydrator. If your oven temperature can not be set below 118 degrees, then your bread won’t be truly raw, but you can bake these breads at the lowest temperature setting on your oven. It will obviously be done much faster, so you will need to check on it frequently to be sure it’s not over done. Some people have tried this method with the oven door cracked open. If you try this bread in your oven, please comment below about your experience and baking time. We’d love to learn from you!

• Do you make raw bread?
  • What is your favorite kind?

This recipe was shared at Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Raw Foods Thursdays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, and Wellness Weekends.

1. Johnna says:

I am absolutely loving your raw breads! These recipes have encouraged me to get the dehydrator out. Excited to try this one!

2. Dana K. says:

Yum! :-) I’m totally on the same page as you.

I make a very similar “carrot-raisin” bread with pureed carrots, raisins, Korintje cinnamon (the Korintje adds a bit of a kick), agave/maple and a pinch of salt. Sometimes orange zest too. I love adding tahini, sliced bananas and a drizzle of honey and making a version of a PB sandwich with them!

Dana, your bread sounds delicious! I’ve never heard of Korintje cinnamon, but you’d better believe that I’ll be looking for some with a description like that! I’ll also be trying your tahini and banana sandwich on this orange carrot bread. Thanks so much for sharing!

3. Your raw breads are simply amazing, Heather! I’d buy them from you if you sold them! No kidding! :-)

xo,

4. amber says:

Hi Heather,

This looks AMAZING! I love how pliable it is. So great!!!! xoxo

5. Oh my, this looks amazing! I need to get my dehydrator back out! Thanks!

6. Natalia says:

Beautiful recipe, Thanks for sharing, Heather!

7. Looks yummy – I’m saving up for a dehydrator as we speak, and when I’m ready to buy one, I’ll definitely get one based on your recommendations :)

8. This sounds so sunny and bright :) Raw breads aren’t my favourite, I find they all have a common taste if that makes any sense? However this one looks so different I totally want to give raw breads another chance.

9. starre says:

I’m new to raw breads. I don’t eat flax is there something I might be able to sub.
    TY in advance

So far, all of my experiences with raw bread require flax as a binding agent. I have never tried anything else. You could try chia seeds, but I’d grind them up. Since there is a great amount of flax in this recipe it would be expensive to substitute chia, but if you can’t do flax it might be worth a try. If you do, please let me know how it goes!

10. “If you don’t have a juicer, process 2 carrots and 1 orange in a food processor to make your own pulp. It will be a wetter batter, and you will not need to add much water, if any.”

You read my mind! Thank you for sharing this option. I am going to try this awesome bread out this week! Sounds SO TASTY =D

11. Anna says:

This sounds fabulous! I don’t have a dehydrator but have made raw bread/crackers in the oven before and they turned out great. I think my oven runs really low though, so not a good indicator of what a good oven may do!

12. Verda says:

I just made this bread today and couldn’t wait to try it. We ate it warm from the dehydrator with a little coconut spread. Yum!

How do you store the bread?

13. Verda says:

I guessed right. What few pieces left are in the frig. I had the best dinner sandwich this evening on this bread. Homemade almond red pepper feta cheese, avocado , lettuce and onion with just a dab of mayo. To die for!!
    Your recipes are wonderful.