Happy Friday! I have a Friday’s Find and a bonus recipe!! I’ve enjoyed Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice for years. In fact, it was the first gluten-free cereal I found that actually tasted like cereal instead of sand. Most crispy rice cereals contain barley malt, so it’s a pleasure to find one that is gluten free and tastes delicious.
I’m a big supporter of Attune Foods, because their products are made with “simple, pure ingredients that help you feel your best everyday”. You can see my past reviews here of their Corn Flakes and Probiotic Chocolate Bars.
But this post is all about the Crispies! Recently I had a chance to sample two of the other cereals — Rice Twice and Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice! Do you remember the days of Cocoa Pebbles? No, me neither (winkie face), but these are so much better. And so much better for you.
The short list of ingredients in even the sweet, chocolately cereal doesn’t prohibit me from enjoying this treat cereal.
Ingredients: organic brown rice, organic evaporated cane juice, organic brown rice syrup, organic cocoa powder (processed with alkali), natural flavors, organic caramel color, sea salt, organic cocoa butter.
As soon as I opened the box and munched on the first handful, I knew that I had to make rice crispy treats. Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats. But in keeping with Attune Food’s philosophy, and my own personal quest to make yummy things just a little bit healthier, I had to toss out a few traditional rice crispy treat ingredients including the marshmallows. Especially the marshmallows.
Are you still here, my friendly felines? Yes, you can make Rice Crispy Treats without corn syrup-drenched marshmallows! See?
And you can do it with ingredients that you believe in. Just start with the Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal of your choice and add in these simple ingredients: SunButter, agave nectar, and flaxseed meal maybe even a touch of cinnamon. This simple recipe worked beautifully with all three Crispy Rice products.
Just mix the ingredients together by hand and press them into muffin tins.
I loved this recipe with Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal. But if you’re looking for a treat that will knock your socks off, I’d make these with the Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice Cereal! Pure decadence without the junk.
Ooh, and one more thing. To top it off, add a dollop of Sunbutter.
Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice Treats
- ½ c. SunButter
- ¾ c. agave nectar
- 4 c. Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
- 1/3 c. flaxseed meal
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
1. Prepare 12 muffin tins by lightly greasing them with coconut oil.
2. Heat SunButter and agave nectar in a large saucepan on low. Stir until lumps have melted and set aside to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, mix Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice Cereal and flaxseed meal.
4. Fold the crispy rice mixture into the SunButter mixture until combined.
5. Scoop into muffin tins and press with the back of a spatula.
6. Let cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
7. Pop out of the muffin tins and serve with a dollop of SunButter on top.
Yields 12 treats
If your local grocers don’t carry Erewhon Cereals, you can order them through Amazon right here:
- Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
- Cocoa Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
- Rice Twice Cereal
- Erewhon Corn Flakes Cereal
- Have you tried Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice cereals?
- Which one is your favorite?
- When is the last time you had a Rice Crispy Treat?